We all know that the secret to staying productive is making it a point to regularly replenish mental, emotional and physical resources through refueling, rest and recreational activities. But as a small business owner, this may not be as easy as it sounds.
Here are 10 easy ways to help you refresh and stay productive.
- Take a break. Schedule two 10-15 minute breaks in the morning and another two in the afternoon to let your mind get off-task and reset. Listen to music, take a walk, and watch your worries melt away.
- Go out for lunch. If you eat lunch at your desk, you’re not really taking a break. Get outside for a change of scenery and take in the fresh air. Plus, have a healthy meal, and savor the flavors as you eat.
- Think and reflect. Set aside 15 minutes to think about what you like to do, what makes you happy, and what brings you energy
- Set aside time. Turn off your laptop and and schedule time for family, hobbies, exercise, and other pursuits on weekends. In addition to your work calendar, keep a “life” calendar of events, social activities and recreation for evenings and weekends.
- Get a hobby. Engage your mind in different ways through a new hobby or sport. Practice or work on your hobby at least once a week.
- Exercise. Get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day–it doesn’t have to be intense, just something that gets your blood flowing and your muscles moving.
- Take a real vacation. Set aside 2 weeks to shut off, this means no work phone calls and no work email. Part of this hiring wisely so you feel secure stepping away without your company missing a beat.
- Sleep. Get 7-9 hours of sleep each night, your body will tell you how much it needs. Sleep works essential functions in our bodies…it isn’t optional..
- Delegate. Free your time up to do what you’re best at and to get necessary rest.
- Get outside. Step out into nature! A study at Heriot-Watt University and the University of Edinburgh found that a walk in a park reduces frustration, increases meditation, and leads to higher engagement afterwards.
How do you take a break, get refreshed and stay productive?