If you have a profile on TheKnot.com, your thumbnail image is your first opportunity to catch a bride’s attention in our local wedding vendor directories. No matter which page she’s on, she has up to thirty thumbnails to choose from and it’s up to you to catch her eye with a thumbnail image that stands out from the crowd. Just like the subject line of an email, the thumbnail is the key to get her to click through to learn more about you. What goes into choosing a thumbnail image that’s a total click magnet? Here are our tried and true tips!
- Think small. The image you have on your website’s homepage might look completely blah when you shrink it down to the size of a postage stamp. So when you’re evaluating your options, start by sizing them down to 90 x 90 pixels. Then narrow it down to a few that are still compelling at a small size.
- Help the bride see herself in your photo. That means no images of empty rooms, equipment, or display cases. And don’t use your headshot. Show her a beautiful bride or a reception in full swing. She’ll gravitate toward images that she relates to and that evoke what she wants her wedding to look like.
- Go for bold color. Our eyes naturally gravitate toward bold, bright colors, and big shapes that make a strong visual impact. Take advantage of that when you’re making your selections.
- Stay on brand. Choose an image that represents what your business is all about. A bride will be disappointed if she clicks on a retro glam thumbnail only to find you’re really known for traditional, romantic styles.
- Be different. Check out what the other thumbnails look like on your page and try something different. Just make sure that you stay true to your brand and stick to the other guidelines here.
Once you’ve chosen a photo, watch your stats in My Account for a few months. Sometimes an image you thought would work great doesn’t, or an image that was working great for a while stops being as effective as it once was. That’s ok, it just means it’s time to adapt and try something different. Keep adjusting until you’re getting the response you’re looking for. As always, if you need help our strategy specialists are available during business hours. You can give them a call at (87) 331-7752.