This week we had the privilege of hosting hundreds of wedding pro’s on this month’s webinar with email marketing expert Alexandra Braunstein. Alex runs our email marketing campaigns and has worked with dozens of clients such as The Children’s Place and Bausch & Lomb. If you didn’t get a chance to listen in, here’s what you missed!
To start, Alex reviewed the basics for setting up an effective email program, including these 5 steps:
- Only send email to people who have submitted their email address and given you permission to mail to them. This is mandated by CAN-SPAM law and is the #1 rule of email marketing.
- Make sure your footer includes an Unsubscribe link (you get this from your email service provider) and your physical address.
- Include a clear, strong Call to Action so your readers know how you want them to respond to the email.
- Emails should be visually appealing–use bold, eye-catching images and minimize large blocks of text.
- Use a short, enticing Subject Line to encourage recipients to open your email.
Next Alex let us in on the top trends driving email success in 2012. Give these a try to improve your email program.
- Personalize your emails by using the customer’s name in the copy, and try to keep the content as relevant as possible. This might require sending different emails to different groups within your subscriber list.
- 34% of people read email on their phones! So make sure your email template is mobile friendly with big buttons around links. Also, the template should not be more than 640 pixels wide.
- Capitalize on social sharing by including Facebook, Twitter, and/or Google+ sharing buttons in your email design.
- Add your own personality and “voice” by taking an editorial approach, using employee generated content, or testimonials to make your email sound like you!
We also discussed how building a subscriber base can be tough in the weddings business because brides are only interested in wedding content during the time they are engaged. If building a subscriber base and an email marketing program is too much for you, you can take advantage of our Local Direct Email product. We’ll email all the brides currently planning their weddings in your area on your behalf. You can use it to promote a trunk show, bridal event, or special offer. If you’re interested in learning more, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call your local account executive.
You can watch the webinar and see Alex’s slides by accessing the replay here.
We’re curious to hear your email marketing success stories! What’s working for you? What email service provider do you use? What’s your strategy to grow your subscriber list? Feel free to leave a comment.